Sunday, September 27, 2015

Bridging Your Longings With Your Reality

When is it our turn?  When will it happen to me?   Will my dreams ever come true?  How will I ever get to that point, checking that off my list?

These questions bounce around in my head when I scroll through social media, talk to strangers, or  just watch TV.  
I see people jumping into clear lagoons, others getting to wake up in a different city every few days, and others visiting hospitalized children in third world countries. 

Yes, I'll be honest.  All those things listed are my dreams and each have their own category.  

Jumping into clear waters of a lagoon? 
-That's the dream of unrestricted vacations!

Waking up in a different city every few days?  
-That's the dream of being a jet setter!

Visiting children in third world countries?  
-That's the dream of doing charitable work across seas!  

Does that sound far fetched?  I'd say yes most of the time.  But then I remember how great God is and believe He placed those dreams in my heart for a reason!  I do not want to (continue) finding myself scrolling through saying, "Man what if...wouldn't it be cool if...Why can't I?"  
I don't think we will ever stop wanting more, better, and what we can't have...well maybe not at the moment.  

~We all have dreams, goals, ambitions, ideas...
We also have our realities...~

None of us have all our stuff together!  Ever heard the saying, "If its not one thing it's another."?  We all dream about that day.  That is our longings.  We have those things that need to get done or else.  That is our reality.

God is so good.  
I really wanted to find a good fiction book to occupy my mind for the plane ride home, yet nothing caught my eye.  I decided to take one last look around and found Longing For Paris by Sara Hagerty.  Judged a book by its cover and started reading.  I love Europe and that's why I picked it up.  Come to find out it was nothing about Paris, except for it being the author's dream to go there.
  
Her dream was just that, something she thought needed to be experienced through flight, wearing a beret, and sitting at an outdoor cafe eating a flaky croissant no American bakery can replicate. 
Her reality was she was a wife, mom, and writer.  Deadlines waited for her, young kiddos tugged at her, laundry was never done.
  
When...would...her dreams....come true???  

Her, yours and my dreams will come true.  It all depends in which manner.  I didn't intend to find a "self-help/personal development" book but I think God wanted me to.  He knows exactly what we need when we needed it.  I'm sure the plans we have for ourselves are wonderful with good intentions.  What more are the plans and destinations God has for us, the one who placed those longings and desires in our hearts!  He loves us so much.

Matthew 6:26 part of the verse behind the tattoo...:    


So while some of us are living our dreams, on our way to accomplishing another dream, or wondering how to start making those dreams a reality...Let's figure out how to bring parts of those dreams INTO our reality.  

Personal example: 
Dream: For my house/loft...whichever...to have a brick wall.  
Just one.  It's the interior designer in me.  
Reality: Track home with no vintage brick.  (Grateful nonetheless!!!) 
Bridge between them: I painted my own brick wall for my room. 

I believe as we try to incorporate more of our dreams into our realities, we dig deeper into why we long for certain things, thus learning more about the heart of God, the One who gave us the ability to
 desire and live fully.  

Doing life with you,
Jeanine 





No comments:

Post a Comment