Wednesday, June 17, 2015

My Workout Routine, Un-Routine

     Getting ready to workout is a routine, the working out is a routine, what you do post workout is a routine.  That's why mixing things up, is so important.  This includes what I eat beforehand so I don't  lose steam mid lunge or tricep kickback, during, and after when my muscles have the j-e-ll-o feeling.


  I'm on a low carb, high protein, lots of water and pro-biotic diet.  I talk more in depth about my health and my diet reasons here.  I eat a lot of yogurt, sweet potatoes, rice cakes with peanut butter, chicken, greens, and without fail- some tomato.  I keep the carbs for morning/early afternoon meals so they are burn throughout the day, and only protein and vegetables for the evening. 

 

 
Kale and tomato egg white scramble & 1/2 avocado
     
     Before heading out, I like to make sure I set myself up for a successful "shed"!  I do that by making a cup of coffee or having an apple.  If coffee or fruit is not your preference, ETB has a great pre-workout formula that will give you the power to push through your limits.  Whatever you choose, be ready to sweat!   

Pre-work out food/drink options: 
- pre-work out
- coffee
- green juice (link to recipe)
- kale & blueberry smoothie (link)
- peanut butter on a rice cake & yogurt
- 1 microwaved sweet potato
- an apple
- granola bar

                                           
     
      For the most part, those who decide to make their life revolve around getting fit and maintaining a healthy lifestyle will eventually hit a plateau.  The beginning weeks are full of energy, excitement and regimented.  Then a couple months go by and the excitement dwindles and our bodies get bored with the workouts.  That means it's time to change it up!
     I am a believer in building your "Workout Arsenal".  Having workouts that are static, dynamic, functional, and therapeutic are good to have in your back pocket.  Or should I say, gym bag?  I usually run the workouts in my head beforehand.  If that day is all about using the machines, I make sure to have the next day be more dynamic (without machines) exercises using the kettle bell and resistance bands.
     Having a workout buddy is great, here is mine.  She is more of a static exerciser, and me the functional exerciser.  It's a good balance because we push each other to different limits and at the same time build our "Workout Arsenal".



     In addition to good fuel, I need good music to push me through!  While on the treadmill I like songs that have a build up to the chorus and believe it or not, country.  My playlist is sporadic.  And is constantly changing.   

Here are some songs I listen to:
- "Roller Coaster" Luke Bryan
- "Wake" Hillsong Young & Free
- "New Thang"-Redfoo
- "What You Do To Me" Dan+Shay
- "We Can't Stop" Miley Cyrus
- "Post To Be" Omarion ft. Chris Brown and Jhene Aiko
- "Somebody" Natalie La Rose
- "Return of the Mack" Mark Morrison
- "Set The World On Fire" Britt Nicole
- "Do It Again" Robyn
- "I'm So Excited" Anja Nissen

 
     For both beginning and ends of my workout I do a yoga/stretching sequence.  It changes according to which body parts were worked that day.  Switch up the routines from standing to floor routines.  You'll be amazed at how much strength it takes to hold plank after a day of chest and arms.  Better yet, Downward Dog!  Challenge yourself.  The change in routine will bring the change in your body...and mind!

     To make sure my work outs don't go to waste I replenish my body with nutrients that repair muscle.  My workouts end around dinner and once I get home I have anything high in protein.

Post workout food/drink options:
- protein shake
- glass of almond milk
- spoon of peanut butter
- chicken breast & vegetables
- yogurt
- string cheese

 
My other workout buddy! 

     One thing that should NOT be changed is how much water you drink!!!  If you must, the ONLY change should be to drink MORE.  I drink at least a gallon a day.  I started this a week ago and my belly has never been flatter!  You will get tired of using the bathroom, but it is worth it.  Our body needs it.  If you're not fond if the tasteless drink, add flavoring to it...lemon, cucumber, fresh berries, herbs.  Aim for half your weight in ounces and work your way to a gallon or more!  

Small changes with big differences,
-Jeanine Faith

No comments:

Post a Comment